James E. Felman and Katherine Earle Yanes have a sophisticated criminal defense investigation, trial, appellate, and post-conviction relief practice. They provide a high level of scholarship and creativity along with an aggressive dedication to the interests of the client. Mr. Felman and Ms. Yanes are both former federal judicial law clerks, and each brings to the firm’s practice outstanding academic training and professional experience.
Representation in state and federal courts
Mr. Felman and Ms. Yanes handle criminal matters in state and federal courts across a broad spectrum of alleged offenses, including financial crimes, such as business fraud, health care offenses, securities offenses, bank and mortgage fraud, tax offenses, embezzlement, bankruptcy fraud, bribery and kickback schemes, money laundering, antitrust violations, and public corruption; environmental crimes; homicide; sex offenses; drug and synthetic drug offenses; gambling offenses; and racketeering. Mr. Felman and Ms. Yanes represent an array of clients, whether they are individuals, public companies, boards and board members of public companies, accounting firms, law firms and lawyers, or hospitals and doctors.
Advocates in criminal defense
Our lawyers protect client interests at every stage of a criminal proceeding or investigation, whether you are faced with a grand jury or other investigation, a state or federal criminal trial or sentencing, or defending a criminal forfeiture. Mr. Felman and Ms. Yanes can assist you with matters such as:
Related civil proceedings – both plaintiff and defendant
In addition to representing clients in criminal defense matters in state and federal courts, Mr. Felman and Ms. Yanes also represent clients in related civil proceedings, such as:
- Defense of related civil proceedings
- Civil forfeiture defense
- Receivership claims and litigation
- Qui tam – plaintiff and defendant
- Securities & Exchange Commission investigations and litigation
- Federal Trade Commission investigations and litigation
- Plaintiff’s actions for malicious prosecution
- Mr. Felman has recently been named by Best Lawyers in America as the 2014 Tampa “Lawyer of the Year” for Appellate Practice. Mr. Felman was also named “Lawyer of the Year” for Non-White-Collar Criminal Defense in 2012 and for White-Collar Criminal Defense in 2011. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America for appellate practice, “bet-the-company” litigation, and white-collar and non-white collar criminal defense. Florida Super Lawyers lists Mr. Felman for criminal defense: white collar practice and has named him one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Florida and one of the Top 50 Tampa Bay Lawyers. Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite also names Mr. Felman for criminal law.
- Ms. Yanes is listed in Best Lawyers in America for white-collar criminal defense and appellate practice. She is also named in Florida Super Lawyers for criminal defense, and in Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite for criminal law.
- Kynes, Markman & Felman, P.A. has been named three years in a row as a Best Law Firm in Tampa by U.S. News and Best Lawyers, the leading survey of lawyers worldwide. Most recently, the firm has been recognized for Criminal Defense: White-Collar – Governmental Investigations; Criminal Defense: White-Collar – Litigation; Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar; and Appellate Practice.
- The firm is AV‑rated by Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating available, and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
Contact Mr. Felman or Ms. Yanes to discuss your legal needs by calling (813) 229-1118 or (800) 584-3375.